VA Loan Eligibility

In order to begin the home loan process and use your VA loan, you must first prove VA loan eligibility. Those who have served in active duty in any branch of the military, or 6 years in the reserves or National Guard, may have VA loan eligibility. You must have received an honorable discharge if you’re no longer in the service or be on active duty if you’re still serving in the armed forces to have VA loan eligibility.

If any of these conditions apply to you, you may be able to purchase a home with your VA loan eligibility:

  • You served in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, National Guard or Public Health Service
  • You served 181 days during peacetime (or as active personnel)
  • You served 90 days during war (Active Duty)
  • You served 6 years in the reserves or National Guard
  • You are a surviving spouse of a service member killed in the line of duty.

In addition to the above circumstances, below are a handful of other qualifications for VA loan eligibility:

  • You received an honorable discharge (if not currently on active duty) or a general discharge (under honorable conditions).
  • You served after September 16, 1940.

If any of the above circumstances apply to you, congratulations! You may be eligible for VA loan benefits. The next step is obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

How to obtain your COE – Active & Non-Active Military

You’ll need your COE before you head down the VA loan trail. A COE shows that you have the required qualifications to apply for a VA loan. You can request a certificate yourself, or we can get your certificate for you through the ACE – Automated Certificate Eligibility system.

For retired and active veterans, reservists and National Guard members, this can be done in one of three ways:

  1. Apply online.  Go to the Veterans Information Portal ( and click on User Registration.  Click Here for user instructions for applying online.
  2. Call our VA loan specialist team NOW at (816) 268-4025.  In many cases, we can obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for you within in minutes.
  3. Apply by mail.  Use VA Form 26-1880.  Return it to the address shown on the form. If you can’t print the form, just call 1-888-244-6711 and follow the prompts for Eligibility.

You’ll need to provide the right paperwork, depending on your service time and arrangement. This could include DD214, Statement of Service, NGB22, NGB23, among others. If you opt for Option #2, we can help you attain all of the forms you need in no time.

How to obtain your COE – Surviving Spouses

If you’re a surviving spouse of a veteran who died while on duty, you’ll need different documentation. You must apply via mail. Follow these steps:

  • You must apply for the Certificate by mail. If your veteran spouse died after service, VA must determine that the death was due to a service-connected disability.  Please allow 2-3 months for this process unless you know that the decision on service-connected death has already been made.
  • Apply using VA Form 26-1817.  If you can’t print the form, just call 1-888-244-6711 and follow the prompts for Eligibility.
  • Send the completed form to:
    VA Loan Eligibility Center
    PO Box 20729
    Winston-Salem, NC 27120

VA Loan Eligibility

The act of service your provided our country qualifies you for a VA loan. Please take advantage of this program. After proving your VA loan eligibility, we will do everything we can to make this process go as smoothly and simply for you as possible.

Questions about the VA loan eligibility process? Overwhelmed? Let us help. Call (816) 268-4025.